Benefits to Offering the In It Together Diabetes Prevention Program
- Complement Your Current Work. Does your organization already work to improve the health and well-being of individuals in your community? A diabetes prevention lifestyle change program is a natural addition to your current activities. And it’s a great way to expand your reach in the community.
- Increased Visibility and Credibility. CDC lists all recognized lifestyle change programs on its website. When someone searches for a lifestyle change program in your area, your organization will be on the list. This can bring increased visibility to your organization and its programs.
- Become Part of a National Effort. Your organization will join thousands of others across the country that offer in-person or online CDC-recognized lifestyle change programs. You’ll also be part of the largest national effort to mobilize and bring effective lifestyle change programs to communities across the country.
What is the National Diabetes Prevention Program (In It Together Diabetes Prevention Program)? The In It Together Diabetes Prevention Program is a year-long CDC evidence-based program focused on healthy eating and physical activity that is proven to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes through behavior modification. Research has shown that people with prediabetes who participate in this structured lifestyle change program can cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58% (71% for people over 60 years old).
This program can also lower participant’s risk of having a heart attack or stroke, improve their health, help them you feel more energetic and even reverse their prediabetes diagnosis.
To find out more about how to start a In It Together Diabetes Prevention Program complete the form below.
Organizations are responsible for identifying, training, and supporting their In It Together Diabetes Prevention Program staff. Consider identifying individuals already in your organization, or affiliated with it, who would be well-suited for the following roles:
- Lifestyle coach: leads the In It Together Diabetes Prevention Program sessions and supports and encourages participants. Lifestyle Coaches should have the ability to help participants make and sustain positive lifestyle changes. They should also have the understanding and sensitivity to help participants deal with a range of issues and challenges associated with making important lifestyle changes.
- Program coordinator: oversees daily operations of the In It Together Diabetes Prevention Program, supports and guides lifestyle coaches, and ensures that the program meets quality performance outcomes
- Data preparer: collects and submits data to CDC
It is recommended that an organization have at least two individuals to fulfill these roles.